To Do's before leaving Mannheim

When your stay unfortunately comes to an end, please follow the advice below as you prepare to return to your home university to avoid encountering unresolved issues upon your return.

Planning to leave Mannheim University of Applied Sciences (MUAS) and wondering about the exmatriculation process? We've got you covered!

Before you say farewell to MUAS, it's important to properly de-register from the university. This step is essential in obtaining a certificate of exmatriculation, which may be required if you decide to continue your studies at another German university in the future.

To smoothly handle the exmatriculation process, please follow these steps:

  1. Consult your double degree coordinator: Reach out to your coordinator to determine the appropriate timeline for exmatriculation.
  2. Fill out the exmatriculation form: Download and complete the exmatriculation form, which you can find here.
  3. Obtain the necessary signatures: After filling out the form, get it signed by the relevant offices in person or by sending the form via email:
    • The Library: They will verify the return of any borrowed media.
    • Your Faculty: This step ensures that all academic requirements are met.
    • The International Office: If you receive a scholarship, they will need to verify your status.

  4. Submit the form: After you have collected the required signatures you have to subit it to the Examination Office (Prüfungsamt).

  5. Access your de-registration certificate: Within a few days, you can download your de-registration certificate through Campus Management, using your MUAS registration data.

  6. Handling your MUAS card: You have two options for your MUAS card:

    • Mail it to the Studentenwerk, if possible.
    • Keep it as a souvenir, if mailing is not feasible.

With the certificate (Transcript of Records), you are able to get your grades registered at your home university. Please contact your local contact person directly about the grade conversion.

If you move within Germany, you do not have to deregister. It is sufficient to register with the new municipality. This will inform the former municipality that you have moved.

One week before to two weeks after you move to another country, you must deregister with the city of Mannheim.

3 ways to deregister your residence in Mannheim:

If you are a member of a German health insurance, please send the following documents to your health insurance company to cancel your membership:

  • Your certificate of exmatriculation from the Mannheim University of Applied Sciences.
  • Your deregistration confirmation from the Einwohnermeldeamt (see above).

Double Degree Students: Please ask your double degree coordinator when you can cancel your health insurance!

If you have opened a blocked account as a condition for obtaining your visa or residence title, you can close it at the Foreign's Registration Office. For this purpose, you have to obtain the consent to close the blocked account at the responsible Foreign's Registration Office (in Mannheim in K7) before your departure.

Students who have not opened a blocked account do not have to deregister at the Aliens' Registration Office. The responsible Residents' Registration Office will inform the Foreign's Registration Office about your deregistration. 

Before you leave Mannheim again, you not only have to inform the citizens' registration office about your departure from Germany, but you also have to deregister from the broadcasting contribution service. You can do this easily online. Below you will find instructions on how to fill out the form.

You can optionally upload a certificate of your deregistration from the Bürgeramt in the online form as proof that you will be leaving Germany.

You should receive a written confirmation by mail after deregistration.

Students who have received a room in a residence hall through the International Office must arrange a move-out date with the house supervisors.