Depending on their country of origin, people wishing to enter the Federal Republic of Germany are subject to different entry requirements. Please inquire about visa regulations concerning your country of origin as soon as possible, however, at the latest after completing the online application at Mobility Online.
Important notice: Whether you need a visa or not is determined by your nationality. It does not matter in which country you study, i.e. where your home institution is located. If you study in a different country than your country of origin and have a residence permit for this country, you still need to apply for a student visa for Germany. Please inquire about visa regulations concerning your country of origin as soon as possible.
Students from countries requiring visa
Depending on their country of origin, people wishing to enter the Federal Republic of Germany are subject to different entry requirements. Every exchange student is responsible for her or his visa application her- or himself. Students from countries requiring visa have to apply for a student visa in their country of origin, or the country of their home institution, before entering Germany.
You are not allowed to study in Germany on a tourist visa. It is not possible to exchange a tourist visa for a student visa once you have entered Germany. That means that you would have to go back to your home country in order to apply for a student visa. Your visa application will require your official letter of admission by Mannheim University. Please contact the responsible German embassy or consulate in your country of origin or the country of your home institution and apply for a student visa immediately after receiving your letter of admission.
You can find more information on visa on the website of the Federal Foreign Office.
- Our International Office can help you select and enrol in compulsory student health insurance for the duration of your stay. Pre-registration can take place before you travel.
- Do not forget to purchase sufficient travel insurance for your journey to Germany.
- As an exchange student, you need to observe any additional insurance requirements that might appear in the respective agreement between your home institution and Mannheim University of Applied Sciences.
- Degree-seeking students are highly encouraged to purchase third-party liability insurance as well as accident insurance (including repatriation in case of severe illness or death).
At the Mannheim University, courses are taught in English and German. Students thus need at least German or English level B2 (in accordance with the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages). Students do not have to prove their language proficiency by submitting any language certificates. We trust that our partner universities select students with sufficient English or German language proficiency.
- German courses are available at all levels from A1 to C1.
- Language courses and DSH preparatory training are currently offered free of charge. Please note: participation is exclusively reserved for our regular students and exchange students from our international partner universities.
- Prior to attending a course, you will need to take a placement test. The coordinator will inform you about the dates.
- Before the semesters begin, intensive language courses are offered at several levels.
- As an exchange student, you can attend our German courses during your stay in Mannheim.
More information about what to consider before you arrive can be found on the International Office's website.