Frequenly Asked Questions

In General

After Admission

You need:

  • 1. proof of enrolment
  • 2. money
  • 3. Student ID-card

Buy your "Semesterticket" at the train station or the rnv-centre (Stadthaus N1). For information about validity, connecting-tickets, a free Semesterticket and more Studierendenwerk Mannheim Homepage and Service Center Studierende


Residents Registration Office in K7

You need:

  1. your passport; EU-citizens may use their identity card
  2. a copy of your lease contract
  3. form "Anmeldung" from the info-centre there

You must register within the first week of your arrival in Mannheim. Fill in the white form "Anmeldung", draw a number from the queue machine in the main hall, and wait for your turn. You will receive a cc of your "Anmeldung".

Students arriving without a visa, and/or starting with lab or industrial work also see points "Residence Permit" and and "Electronic Wage Tax Form".

You could open a bank account at any bank. Therefore you need:

  1. your passport, EU-citizens may use their identity card
  2. your student ID-card
  3. cc of the "Anmeldung" from the Residents Registration Office

Open an account as soon as possible. All regular payments will either be effected by transfer or direct debit. Keep your current account balance statements "Kontoauszüge", you will always need them when renewing you residence permit. Please remember to close your bank account before leaving Germany.

You need:

  1. your preliminary confirmation of health insuranc (in case you already applied to an insurer while still at home)
  2. your bank details
  3. your passport or identity card
  4. your student ID-card

Health insurance is mandatory. Students – below the age of 30 – are eligible for statutory health insurance at the lowest monthly rate. Those above the age of 30 have to be insured privately. For more information, contact the International Office.

EU-citizens take their EU-health-card along when consulting a general practitioner.

Residence Permit at Foreign Residents Registration Office in K7

Students from EU member-states do not need a residence permit. All other students make an appointment with the Foreign Residents Registration Office. You need:

  1. application form "Antrag auf Erteilung einer Aufenthaltserlaubnis" from the Info-Centre there
  2. your passport
  3. your student ID-card
  4. two biometric photographs, can be shot in K7
  5. a copy of your lease contract
  6. proof of sufficient financing, current account balance, scholarship
  7. proof of health insurance
  8. money for the fee

Non-EU students who either:

  • arrive without a visa
  • will work in a lab as student assistant "HiWi2 = "Hilfswissenschaftler"
  • will start with a practical term in an industrial plant

must, immediately after registering with the Residents Registration Office, go to the Foreign Residents Registration Office (in the same building 2nd floor) and apply for a residence permit.

Students with a visa valid for 3 months who will not be working at once apply for a residence permit shortly before the visa expires. The Foreign Residents Registration Office will send you a letter, together with the yellow application form "Antrag auf Verlängerung einer Aufenthaltserlaubnis", requesting you to make an appointment. Should you not receive such a letter at least two weeks before your visa expires, please contact the Foreign Residents Registration Office yourself.

Electronic Wage Tax Deduction Form at the Income Tax Office Mannheim

All students who will either

  • work in a lab as student assistant ("HiWi" = "Hilfswissenschaftler")
  • start with a practical term in an industrial plant

need an electronic wage tax deduction form. Please consult with your employer how to proceed. For the address, office-hours please have a look at the website of Finanzamt (Income Tax Office Mannheim).

International students are obliged to register all receivers, whether the equipment is actually being used or not. Based on the assumption that this fee is included in the overall expenses calculated for obtaining the visa/residence permit, international students are not exempted from paying the fee.

Double Degree Students or Exchange Students studying more than 1 semester at UAS

After you have taken exams the faculty will report the results to the "Prüfungsamt". The "Prüfungsamt" issues a transcript "Statusbericht" in English or German which you can also print out.

For a special transcript you will have to contact the faculty dean or your academic counsellor. On the basis of the "Statusbericht" may will issue you a letter confirming the exams you have passed.


Prof. Dr. S. Altmann
Building L, room 156
 +49 621 292 60 89

Consulation hours

Lisa Knoll, M.A.
Building L, room 355
 +49 621 292 68 90

Consultation hours during semester
Tuesday and Thursday 9 a.m. - 11 a.m.

Consultation hours during non-lecture period
Appointment by prior arrangement